Hazards of Winter Fishing
Four men rescued from icy waters
Quick thinking and years of experience by two charter captains saved the lives of four fishermen angling in near-freezing waters east of Picton, Ontario.
Scott Walcott and Sheldon Hatch, charter captains on separate vessels that morning, were on trips with several clients at about 11:45 a.m. November 23rd when Walcott spotted trouble about 500 meters off Adolphustown near Loynes Island.
"I looked up and saw what looked like the bow of a boat in the water and a bunch of debris," said Walcott. "There was a planer board and a cooler and a piece of pizza floating."
As he pulled his boat closer, he saw four men, ages 22 to 53, in flotation suits floating on their backs around a sinking 18-foot fishing boat.
"Four men in the water," he radioed to Hatch who was in a boat a few hundred meters behind him.
The two charter captains worked together to pull the men in as they floated helplessly on the water. "They were so out of it they couldn’t even swim to grab the buoy," said Hatch. "Literally, we had to throw it within an inch of them or they wouldn’t get it."
The men had been in the water for three to five minutes before the captains showed up, but much longer than that could have spelled disaster. Once off the water, the men were taken to Prince Edward Memorial Hospital in Picton, treated and released.
This incident demonstrates the caution we as anglers must practice when fishing in the winter months. Berkley would like to share a few tips from pro staffer Sheldon Hatch that keep his clients safe on the ice or frigid waters while hunting for their trophy of a lifetime.
Be overly prepared
This cannot be said enough. As anglers we pride ourselves on our preparedness. These men were wearing flotation suits, which is a great place to start. Most anglers will notice that being overly prepared means a more relaxed trip because whatever happens they are ready.
Typically extra tackle is needed, but not in this situation. Sheldon Hatch and Scott Walcott were ready with extra clothes for the men once they boarded the ship. Who thinks to pack extra clothes? The seasoned pros know that this could mean warmth if a bad situation occurred. Luckily, the two were ready and saved four lives.
Time is everything in these emergencies, and there is no room for panic. The fast thinking of Hatch and Walcott prevented any additional panic. Each knew they had a different job to do once they arrived at the scene. Walcott called for backup and emergency personnel to be there waiting for them. Being calm under pressure is key in moments like these.
Know the water
The water that morning was calm but turned rough at a moments notice. Walcott noticed from his initial approach that the anglers were well prepared for this type of occurrence. The boats operator was shocked how quickly the seas turned that day, noting, "it all happened so fast." Perhaps the operator was unaware of the conditions, but knowing the area and the climate changes can save an accident from occurring.
Sound the distress at first glimpse of trouble. Walcott happened upon this wreckage. He was not alerted to the situation. It doesn’t matter if it is cell phone or radio, alerting someone to your location will undoubtedly save your life.
Going through this winter season, make it a memorable one on and off the water. Be safe. Winter fishing can be a fun outing, but going in unprepared can spell disaster.
- Berkley Conservation Institute Congratulates the Environmental Protection Agency on Alaska Pebble Mine Action
- Berkley Pros to Compete for Classic Title
- Berkley Booth Has Big Plans for 2014 BASSMaster Classic
- Berkley Powerbait Sponsors BASSmaster Classic Cast for Cash
- Berkley Havoc Boss Dog
- Berkley Havoc Pit Boss Jr.
- Berkley Powerbait Fight’n Bug
- Berkley Powerbait Rib Shad
- Berkley Powerbait Slim Shad
- Hazards of Winter Fishing
- Berkley Trilene Bass Boat Contest Closes with Winner Announced
- Experience Trailer Set to Kickoff 2014 in Tennessee
- International High School Fishing Club Challenge Goes Strong
- ONLY A FEW DAYS LEFT TO ENTER THE BERKLEY® SUPER STRONG(TM) TRILENE® TOURNAMENT BOAT SWEEPSTAKES
- 8th Annual Berkley Big Bass Challenge A Success
- Amateur Big Bass Challenge Set for Lake Fork, Texas
- Berkley Conservation Institute's Jim Martin Honored with BoatUS Foundation Environmental Leadership Award
- Ike Continues To Roll With Win On Lake Erie
- Skarlis and Steinfeldt Crowned 2013 National Champions
- Berkley® Goes Back to School
- Fishing's Future Hooks New Directory
- Palaniuk Dominates B.A.S.S. ELITE Tourney
- Reese Produces 15 Pounds On Final Day For West Point Win
- Doc Samson Joins The Berkley Walleye Team
- World Record Inland Striper Confirmed
- Berkley Havoc Cast For Cash Huge Success For Lousiana Man
- Take Home the Berkley® Super Strong™ Trilene® Tournament Boat
- Berkley Announces Pro Team for 2013
- Dorris, Olivier Claim Victory at the Cabela's MWC World Walleye Championship
- Nixon Wins FLW Tour Open
- Berkley Pro Duckett Wins Bass Event
- Card Earns Rookie Top Prize
- Gulp! Heads Win Best of ICAST Award
- Berkley XL / XT Wins Award At 2012 ICAST
- David Dudley Wins Third FLW Tour Angler Of The Year Title
- Faircloth Wins Mississippi River Rumble
- Berkley® To Sponsor Recycled Fish 24 Hour Fish-A-Thon
- Rock'n & Reel'n July 10, 2012 - Nashville, TN
- Tommy Skarlis Wins FLW Event on Mississippi
- Palaniuk Surges To Victory On Bull Shoals
- Berkley® 75th Anniversary Minnesota Walleye Opener Prize Package Sweepstakes
- Berkley Donates To Wounded Warrior Program
- Berkley To Sponsor $250k Fishing Derby
- Pure Fishing® Recognizes Top Youth Fishing Programs
- Berkley Team Adds Rookie Sensations
- Berkley Set To Launch New Baits At 2012 Classic
- Bobby Lane Captures PAA Tour Team Challenge Title
- Berkley's Experience Trailer 2012 Tour kicks off in Alabama
- Berkley To Sponsor 18th Annual Canadian Ice Fishing Championship
- Captain Quinton Dieterle and Team Get Lit Win Silver Sailfish Derby
- 2nd Annual Berkley/Sebile Big Bass Challenge on Lake Murray Has Record Turnout
- Berkley® NanoFil™ Winner's List for September 28th
- 2011 Berkley B1 Canadian Bass Open Crowns Champions
- 1st Annual Berkley Big Bass Challenge on Lake Murray Successful
- Aaron Busher And Crackerjack Voyager Strike Big
- Bassmaster Classic Cast For Cash
- BCI To Sponsor BoatU.S. Collegiate Bass Fishing Conservation Award
- Berkley Adds Palaniuk To Pro Staff
- Berkley And Abu Garcia To Sponsor The Bass University
- Berkley and BASS Partner Again in 2011 to Recognize Outstanding Conservation Projects
- Berkley And BCI Award Over $3,000 In Cash & Prizes At Boatus Collegiate Championship
- Berkley And Bradley Roy Join Forces
- Berkley And Iaconelli Expand Agreement
- Berkley Bass Tank Headed To Albemarle, NC
- Berkley Big Bass Challenge Hosts Record Field
- Berkley Big Bass Challenge On The Delta Is In The Record Books
- Berkley Big Bass Challenge Returns To The California Delta
- Berkley Big Bass Challenge Set For Delta
- Berkley Big Bass Challenge Takes Delta By Storm
- Berkley Big Bass Lake Murray Challenge Announced
- Berkley Conservation Institute Awards Collegiate Anglers
- Berkley Conservation Institute Honors Indiana Bass Federation Nation
- Berkley Conservation Institute Honors New York Bass Federation Nation
- Berkley Experience Trailer Coming To Forrest Lake, MINN.
- Berkley Experience Trailer to Appear at Houston Fishing Show March 2-6
- Berkley Experience Trailer To Begin 2010 Season In Florida
- Berkley Experience Trailer To Stop In Bismark, N.D.
- Berkley Experience Trailer To Stop In Boise, Idaho
- Berkley Fishing Launches New Website
- Berkley Fishing Launches Official Facebook Page
- Berkley FLW Pro Team To Appear In Benton, KY
- Berkley® NanoFil® Recieves Multiple Awards At 2012 ICAST New Product Showcase
- Berkley NanoFil Winner's List for September 14th
- Berkley NanoFil Winner's List for September 21st
- Berkley NanoFil Winner's List for September 7th
- Berkley NanoFil Wins Big At EFTTEX
- Berkley, Penn Partner With IFA to Become Newest Sponsors of Redfish, Kayak Tours
- Berkley, Penn to Sponsor World Catfish Classic 2011
- Berkley Pro Baylock Youngest FLW Tour Champion
- Berkley Pro Blaylock Wins FLW Rookie Of The Year
- Berkley Pro Defoe Named B.A.S.S. Rookie Of The Year
- Berkley Pro Hite Runs Away With Pickwick Trophy
- Berkley Pro Iaconelli Wins First Stop On Trophy Chase
- Berkley Pro Jeane Wins FLW Stren Series Event
- Berkley Pro Lefebre Claims Toyota Texas Bass Classic
- Berkley Pro Martin Wins Final FLW Event On Champlain
- Berkley Pro Reese Takes Lead For Bass AOY Title
- Berkley Pro Scheide Claims Second Flw Tour Win
- Berkley Pro Skarlis Claims Aim Pro Walleye Event
- Berkley Pro Staffer And Team Win Team Of The Year Title At 2010 Professional Tarpon Tournament Series
- Berkley Pro Thrift Claims First FLW Tour Win
- Berkley Pro Wendlandt Claims Third AOY Title
- Berkley Pros Named Miller High Life Professional Tarpon Team Of The Year
- Berkley Team Wins World Walleye Championship
- Berkley® Trilene® Cast For Cash Huge Success For Missouri Man
- Berkley Trilene Pro Asheley Is Lake Murray Champion
- Berkley Trilene Transoptic Line On Newsstands Now
- Berkley Trilene Transoptic Wins Best Line Award At 2009 Icast New Product Showcase
- Berkley USA Team Places Second At World Catfish Classic
- Berkley USA Team to Compete in World Catfish Classic 2011
- Berkly Pros Dominate First 2011 FLW Tour Event
- Bob Roberts Tops Record Field Of 747 Anglers At 4th Annual Berkley Big Bass With An 8.96 (1.66 Tie Breaker) And Takes Home New Skeeter Boat!
- Boy Scout Jonathan Dawes Catches First Bass With Hank Parker
- Call For Major Marine Fisheries Management Changes
- Canadian Record Broken Using Berkley Baits And Line
- Cheryl Smith Wins 2009 Berkleybigfish Grand Prize
- David Dudley Wins Second FLW Tour Angler of the Year Title
- Defoe Defies Odds For Bassmaster Elite Series All Star Title
- Elite Series Rookie Hits Bass Trail And Espn Vlog
- Enter Your Conservation Project for Recognition
- Federal Consideration Of Bottom Fishing Closure Suspended
- Lane Carries The Day At Kentucky Lake
- Lee Smith Wins IFA Kayak Event at Destin, FL
- Legislation Introduced to Stop Unwarranted Fisheries Closures
- Martin Elected Chairman Of TRCP Board Of Directors
- Palaniuk Ready to Begin Elite Series Career
- Pure Fishing Continues To Support The BoatU.S. Collegiate Program
- Pure Fishing Invests in Future Fisherman
- Pure Fishing Teams Up With The Boy Scouts Of America
- Reese And Roy Seize Lead In Angler Of The Year And Rookie Of The Year Standings
- Reese Runs Rampant On Smith Mountain
- Reese Unstoppable On Guntersville
- Team Sostheim/Matney Wins IFA Redfish Tour Event at Destin, FL
- The 4th Annual Berkley Big Bass Challenge Is This Weekend!
- The Berkley Experience Is Coming To North Texas
- The Real Mcr.O.Y.
- Tucker Earns First B.A.S.S Tour Victory
- Velvick Hammers The Field At Clear Lake
- Berkley News